Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Doug P would love goodbye, and other cultural uniqueties

My friend in the US, Doug Portmore, doesn't like long goodbyes. He hates them, in fact--he likes to leave as quickly as possible. So he'd love New Zealand. As far as I can tell, the norm here is to just sort of get up and slink out of the room quietly, not really even saying goodbye, or maybe awkwardly saying it and then quickly moving on. Actually, I'm not yet sure if that's just true of many of the people I've met, or if it's a general cultural trait. Oddly, though, that's one that's stuck out the most.

That and, obviously, strange terms, like "tinnie," pronounced like I'd say "tennie," which is not a shoe but a beer in a can (I think that's an aussie term) and an illicit package. Or the pronunciation of "debut" as "day-boo." More importantly, I've been instructed to definitely not say the name of the philosopher I work most on, Kant, in the way that I normally would (as it's normally done in the States). Instead, I have to say it like the Brits (who are called POHMs here--Persons Of Her Majesty--not sure if that's an insult...apologies if it is). They say "Kant" the way I say "can't." Apparently if you say "Kant" the US way, it ends up sounding like the Kiwi way of saying...well, you can imagine the word yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home