Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Bars

It's started to dawn on me that I should list things that I like more often, in case any of the Lucky Few ever come down here. That way they'll have some recommendations. As I travel more, I'll post on that a bit, but there are also the regular things about Wellington. Since I've been talking a bit about the bars and restaurants, that's as good a place to start as any. Obviously, by the time any of the Lucky Few make it down here, many of these places might be gone. But here's a list of bars anyway. Restaurants to follow. I'll update in the "comments" section.

Bars:
  • The Matterhorn. Good ambiance, great outdoor patio (no smoking inside in NZ). Apparently they make a great mint julep and also have a nice list of "stickies" (after-dinner liqueurs).
    • [On Cuba Street, just up from Dixon.]
  • Motel. Very laid-back, kind of hipster lounge. Good gin and tonic. Probably my favorite watering hole.
    • [Off Tory, just up from Courtenay Place--a bit hard to find as it's off a back alley. It's all very speakeasy.]
  • UU. A little snobby (tough getting past the bouncers, at least if you're a guy), but good fun inside. It's all mirrors--the bar, the walls, the ceiling. Not the floor (for obvious reasons, I assume). And they have a dancing pole in the middle, which is great when you want to get your drunk friends to embarrass themselves (a temptation to which I myself have not yet succumbed, thankfully). Good DJ if you're looking to dance to something besides techno, such as soul or rock music.
    • [On Courtenay Place, near the intersection with Blair or Allen].
  • Hummingbird. Sedate, elegant place. Bit of an older crowd, nice outdoor seating, especially for people-watching as they're stumbling around Courtenay Place.
    • [On Courtenay Place, near Blair or Allen.]
  • Vespa Lounge, Go Go, or Sandwiches. For the very late or early morning drinking. Vespa has a cool lounge feel. Go Go has dancing and a nice outdoor patio/bar--but do not drink the Tequila there; I had some brand I'd never heard of, and it made my face go green.
    • [All in the Courtenay Place/Blair/Allen nexus.]
  • When in trouble, just find a good-looking location on Courtenay Place. Tons of bars. You can't miss it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home