Monday, March 27, 2006

Parenting, Part Deux

In the last post on parenting, I noted how young adults are more independent here in NZ than in the US, e.g., by regularly moving out at around 16 or 17 and fending for themselves. But here's a surprisingly different side of things. I'm told that (and I haven't verified this) it's illegal to leave your kids unsupervised at home until they are 14. 14! When I think about the things I was doing at 13, let alone how early I was was the babysitter, rather than the babysittee, that just seems crazy.

Particularly in light of the fact that they're then out on their own just a couple of years later.

4 Comments:

At March 28, 2006 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh,

I think the same is true in many states in the U.S.

 
At March 28, 2006 9:58 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Wow, that's even more surprising. I guess I must have been running around like some feral animal! (Not that much has changed over the years.)

 
At March 28, 2006 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your folks are off the hook-I think it's only a couple midwest and/or northeastern states with that legislation ;) Most U.S. states do, however, have recommendations that are usually around 14...

 
At April 06, 2006 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may be TMI for me. Good Grief.

RG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home