Monday, May 15, 2006

A Zappist State of Affairs

It's been a bit slow-going here on JIINZ lately, which I hope to rectify, starting with two random items:

Item 1: It snowed here today! I couldn't believe it, but it did. Of course, it was only a light flurry mixed in with the rain, and it was up on the hill, but that's still no more than 250 feet above sea level. And it was uncontestably there. Snow. Very unexpected. And very cold.

Item 2: On the many meanings of 'piss.' Off the top of my head, I can only think of two ordinary uses for 'piss' in the US. You can take a piss. And you can get pissed off. But here, 'piss' has many uses. As mentioned long ago here, you can go on the piss, which is to say that you can get drunk, and you can be pissed, which is being drunk. Or you can take the piss out of someone, which is to say that you can make them laugh have fun at that person's expense. Or it can be pissing out, which is to say that it's raining heavily. And I think there are others I'm forgetting, but I hope you won't be pissed at me for that.

2 Comments:

At May 19, 2006 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you can piss away a lot of time thinging about the meaning of "piss".

 
At May 19, 2006 9:33 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Right--I knew I must have missed one or two. What a pisser.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home