Sunday, August 13, 2006

Makara






Just outside of Wellington is a town called Makara. I've often been very close to it, as it's only about 10 minutes past my golf course. But I never got all the way there, for one reason or another. Then I learned that there's a nice hike there. So last weekend Jesse and I went to visit. Very nice place. The drive in tracks along a picturesque creek (though not so picturesque that I have any pictures here!), and then we took the long way back, through Johnsonville, which winds you through a very nice forest.

But the highlight is the hike at Makara. It is supposed to go along the beach halfway, and then the other half loops back up along the cliffs. I was looking forward to the views from the cliffs, but that part of the hike is closed for a couple months. Why, you ask? Well, apparently they need it for "lambing." That is, letting lamb graze, I take it. Definitely an only-in-New-Zealand thing, that one. Oh well, it gives me an excuse to go back in summer.

Until then, here are some pictures from the beach half of the walk. Other than the scenery, which was fantastic, you'll notice a disturbingly windswept version of myself, and one of the many likable birds that is unique to NZ. I haven't talked about the birds here very much, but if you're a birder, here and Australia are fantastic. Very strange, cool birds.

1 Comments:

At August 15, 2006 2:07 PM, Blogger Josh said...

Anonymous flame will be deleted, as always.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home