Monday, July 10, 2006

Josh Is In Portland




Okay, so this blog is supposed to be about NZ, and only relationally about the US, that is, about the US only insofar as the US situation can shed light on the NZ situation, or, as is more likely, about how my US experience contrasts with my NZ experience.

But I've been in the US for a couple of weeks, and I was fortunate enough to take in some very nice sights and experiences, so I thought I'd post them here. That way, if you're travelling to, or already near, some of these places, you might be more motivated to visit them (much as this blog might tempt you to visit NZ--especially when you see sights like this, in case you forgot).

This first such post features pictures from a hike my mom and I took in the Columbia Gorge, which is, to my mind, likely the most underrated spot in terms of natural beauty in the Lower 48. That's not to say it's the best, just that it's the most underrated. It's also a little hazy on this day, so Mt. Adams didn't come through (it's there in the wide vista pic, I swear!). But fewer spots are better than the Portland area on a sunny summer day, when all the mountains (Hood, Adams, Jeff., St. Helens, and even Reineer) are out.

Anyway, this is McCord Creek Falls, which is a very nice hike. It's 2.2 miles RT (up and back, not loop), but fairly steep for that distance (600 ft.). You can google it for information about how to get there, but it's only about 10 minutes past Multnomah Falls, off Interstate 84. Look for the barn once you're on Frontage Rd.

Don't forget to click on the pictures for a larger view.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home