Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Paper anniversary

It's official: today marks exactly 1 year that I've lived in New Zealand. That's kind of crazy. It also vividly reveals to me that moving abroad for a permanent/indefinitely long move is a whole different ball of wax than going abroad for a long time, such as a year or two. It's home here, now, despite my robust affinity for the US.

I'm about to go back to the US for a few weeks, so blogging will be lighter than normal for awhile. Here are two random thoughts to hold the Lucky Few over until then.

1) This is totally random, but remarkable: if you want to go to Med School or Law School here, you can do so straight out of high school. No need for a BA: Law and Medicine are treated as the professional schools that they really are. And students can generally write well after high school here, so why bother with a BA?

2) Most of the Lucky Few who read this blog are in the US. However, among others, I've mentioned it to someone who's in China now and a friend who served in Iraq for several months. While in China and a US base in Iraq, respectively, these people could not access Josh is in New Zealand! I never knew I was worthy of censorship, but it's a sad commentary on both human rights in China and the lack of freedom to read in the US military. Now that I'm about to post this on-line, I'm afraid they'll come after me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home