Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Changes

I'm coming to the end of what I've been thinking of as my first phase in NZ. First, the first six-week half of the Uni's term is coming to an end on Friday. I've loaded up on teaching over these six weeks (three new preps!) so that after the "spring" break I only have to teach one (new) class for four of the six weeks. Then it's summer break here, plus next fall I've only got one course. In any case, my teaching/prep load has been grueling, so it's nice that that's ending.

Second, two months roughly marks the longest continuous time I've been out of the U.S., I think, and certainly represents the longest continuous time I've been in one country other than the U.S. I've done the two-month expat thing a couple of times, but never much longer. Hopefully I won't disintegrate or something when I cross that mark.

Third, on Friday, visitors are coming! Ann's flying in from Sydney for a few days, and then the following week, Dad will be here for about a week. Gonna get out and see some things, too, so hopefully I'll have more NZ pics soon.

And that is in part enabled by the fact that I got a car, finally! It's so totally liberating, that I can't wait to get out and use it more. (Damned work keeps getting in the way.) Anyway, since Wellington is more like S.F. than any other U.S. city (in terms of geography, good food, climate, etc., although the nightlife is more NYC), I figured I'd get the same car as almost everyone I know there. That's right...a Subaru. It's very nice so far, Japanese used import, so the manual is in Japanese, unfortunately, which is doubly difficult because the stereo makes no sense. Anyways, it's also the most popular car to steal in NZ, so keep your fingers crossed. (Not that there's much crime of any sort here.)

Hat tip to the other Glasgow clan for spotting the Subie trend early (and sticking with it, too).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home